The accessibility mode increases the contrast for people with visual problems.

Permits and certificates

Consult the new urban planning fees for the year 2022.

As a general rule, you need to obtain a permit or a certificate of authorization when undertaking any maintenance, repair, renovation, or replacement work.

Any modification to the front façade or any exterior modification visible from the street is subject to the By-law concerning the site and architectural integration plans (2234). This entails processing fees and additional steps to obtain a construction permit, which will take a minimum of 10 weeks.

Please note that non-compliance with this regulation may result in a fine (minimum $300 plus costs) and often leads to frustrating delays in your projects.

When do I need a construction permit?

A permit is required for all construction, extension, or excavation work, as well as for any renovation or repair work affecting the facade or the structure of a building.

A permit is also required for any other type of indoor or outdoor work costing more than $3,000.

Print the application for a building permit or certificate of authorization (in French only). Bring the completed form and all necessary documents to the Urban Planning, Permits and Inspection Department to obtain your permit. Certain fees apply.

When is a construction permit not necessary?

A permit is not required for repairs, renovations, or cosmetic changes to a property, as long as the cost of the work does not exceed $3,000. For example, you do not need a permit to:

  • replace lighting fixtures, faucets, bathroom vanities, etc.
  • paint your kitchen walls or cupboards
  • replace flooring
  • install a backsplash or decorative moulding.

Even if you do not require a permit, it is important that you comply with the provisions of the permits and certificates by-law and of all related regulations, such as the Quebec Construction Code. When in doubt, do not hesitate to contact the Urban Planning, Permits and Inspection Department at 450 466-3277 or

What type of work requires a certificate  of authorization?

In addition to a construction permit, you need to obtain a certificate of authorization for certain types of landscaping or other outdoor work on your property, including:

  • excavation, clearing, or backfilling
  • construction, relocation, or demolition of an ancillary building, or any addition to the main building (such as a solarium)
  • installation of a heat pump, generator, or water heater for a swimming pool, or other mechanical equipment
  • construction of an in-ground pool
  • installation of an above-ground pool or a spa with a capaity of more than 2,000 litres
  • installation of a fence
  • construction of a garage or a car shelter
  • installation of an ancillary building
  • felling of trees
  • upgrading of any building or structure to compliance
  • installation of a home or other type of antenna
  • work of any nature affecting a riverbank, lakeshore, littoral zone, or floodplain

For detailed information on the most common types of work that requires a permit or certificate, and to know the procedure to follow to obtain one, please consult the Permits and construction section.

You also need a certificate of authorization for the following commercial activities:

  • construction, installation, replacement, or alteration of a public notice, sign, or billboard
  • installation of a temporary building for commercial or industrial purposes
  • installation of a café-terrace.

Please refer to the By-laws page to know all the provisions of the urban planning by-laws in force on the territory of the Ville de Saint-Lambert.